Part Time Education Instructor - Camp Counselor
The IGFA is looking for a fun and energetic individual that has experience and a passion for working with children in an outdoor setting. This position is responsible for teaching hands-on fishing and educational programs to children and young adults during the Summer as well as some weekends. Fishing programs are designed to teach anglers principles of ethical angling. Educational programs are designed to teach environmental conservation and ethical angling through science. Programs may take place at the IGFA headquarters, at parks, or on fishing boats through labs, camps, and other events.
Description of Responsibilities:
Have the ability and enjoy working with children and young anglers
- Comfortable speaking in front of small and large groups
- Effectively maintain a safe and controlled environment with groups of children and young adults
- Instruct student programs to provide educational opportunities for children and adults as they relate to game fish and their habitats
- Maintain educational equipment to facilitate educational activities, as directed by the supervisor; and assist in managing and supervising volunteers as directed.
- Ability to travel with groups for daily fishing trips during summer months
- Must be comfortable in and around water and capable of spending long hours in various outdoor conditions.
- Must be reliable, responsible, take initiative, and act in a professional manner at all times.
- Provide excellent customer service to all camp parents and participants at IGFA events.
- Experience fishing for freshwater and saltwater species
- Knowledge of and the ability to teach various types of fishing rods, reels, knots and baits
- Ability to discuss proper catch and release techniques and local fishing regulations with young anglers and explain why they are important for maintaining fisheries
- Knowledge of various types of habitats and their inhabitants and have the ability to discuss the importance of healthy aquatic habitats for fisheries
- Perform other duties as necessary
- High School Graduate
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Ability to work throughout the summer break as well as occasional weekends
- Must be able to speak, read and write in English
- Either have or be working on a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a sector of environmental science
- Must be a strong swimmer and be CPR certified (we can provide certification if needed)
A background check will be conducted.
(The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of associates assigned to this job.)
Please send resume to Joanna Olczyk, Youth Angling Instructor:
Deadline to apply May 1, 2020
Email: [email protected]
International Game Fish Association
Joanna Olczyk, Youth Angling Instructor\
300 Gulf Stream Way
Dania Beach, FL 33004